.

.

.

.

Sign-up For Blog Updates by Email!

GOOGLE FRIEND CONNECT

+GOOGLE PLUS+

April 3, 2012

The Best Macaroni & Cheese in the Universe!

 A Pinterest sucess story! 

The other night I decided I was going to make homemade macaroni and cheese for dinner. Normally the recipe I use is ok. Just a normal old-fashioned recipe. But I always wished it were more cheesy, so I've tried to making a few adjustments like adding lots of extra cheese, or doubling the sauce, but I still it felt like something was missing.

Then on Pinterest I came across a recipe for Martha Stewart's Macaroni and Cheese. You know if it's from Martha Stewart it's probably really good, so I decided to go for it.

After buying $30.00 worth of cheeses I was all set to begin lol.
I know Macaroni and Cheese is supposed to be economical, but this is so NOT.
And I assume with all the cheeses it's not too healthy either.

But is it delicious? YES!
Cheesy? YES!
Worth the extra work? YES!


Macaroni and Cheese

 Recipe courtsey marthastewart.com (adapted ever so slightly by me :)

Ingredients:

* 8 tbsp (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more to grease dish
* 6 slices good white bread, crusts removed, torn into 1/4"-1/2" pieces
* 5-1/2 cups milk

* 1/2 cup all purpose flour
* 2 tsp salt
* 1/4 tsp finely grated nutmeg
* 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
* 1/4 tsp cayene pepper, or to taste

* 4-1/2 cups grated sharp white cheddar cheese (about 18oz)

* 2 cups grated Gruyere cheese (about 8oz) or 1-1/4 cups grated
       Pecorino Romano cheese (about 5oz). (I used Gruyere)

*1 pound elbow macaroni

Directions:

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 3 quart casserole dish (I used a 9x13 glass dish); set aside. Place bread in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat (I used the microwave :), melt 2 tbsp butter. Pour butter into bowl with bread, and toss. Set aside.
  1. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat milk.  Melt remaining 6 tbsp butter in a high -sided skillet over medium heat.  When butter bubbles, add flour.  Cook, whisking, 1 minute.
  2. While whisking, pout in hot milk.  Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick.
  3. Remove pan from heat.  Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, 3 cups cheddar cheese, and 1-1/2 cups Gruyere or 1 cup Pecorino Romano; set cheese sauce aside.
  4. Fill a large saucepan with water; bring to a boil.  Add macaroni; cook 2-3 minutes less than manufacturer's directions, until the outside of pasta is cooked and the inside is underdone. (Different brands of macaroni cook at different rates; be sure to read the instructions.) Transfer macaroni to a colander, rinse under running cold water, and drain well.  Stir macaroni into the reserved cheese sauce.
  5. Pour mixture into prepared dish.  Sprinkly remaining 1-1/2 cups cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup Gruyere or 1/4" Pecorino Romano, and breadcrumbs over top. ( I mixed the breadcrumbs and cheese together with a bit of flour first).  Bake until browned on top, about 30 minutes.  Transfer to a wire rack to cool 5 minutes, serve hot and enjoy the cheesy goodness.


This was so delicious that I will never used my old-fashioned Macaroni and Cheese
recipe again! Has anyone else ever tried this particular recipe? 
Or perhaps a more economical recipe recipe that is still super cheesy??

Have a great Tuesday :)

xo,
Photobucket

Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

8 comments:

  1. I haven't ever really made it homemade - but this looks & sounds delicious. No calories though right? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right!!! Lol the cheesiest diet macaroni and cheese ever ;) {NOT!}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhhhhhhhhhh yum yum yum!! And hello to my thighs getting bigger! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yummy!! You made me hungry girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know Julie! But some things are just too yummy to pass up :)

    Witha! With all the yummy food pics you post I'm now getting back at you lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks delicious! I am going to pin in and give it a try sometime. Thanks for sharing your experience with it. Nothing ticks me off more than dumping a lot of money into a recipe only for it to turn out icky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Theresa yes I hate buying ingredients for a recipe and have it turn out awful! But this one's definately worth the $!

    ReplyDelete
  8. $30 worth of CHEESE?! it had better be the best in the universe! :) It looks yummy, though! Thank you so much for linking up with me this week at Tasty Tuesdays! I’ve pinned this & shared it with my followers!

    ReplyDelete

💕 Thank you for your comment! 💕

´*•.¸(*•.¸♥¸.•*´)¸.•*´
♥«´¨`•°..PAULA..°•´¨`»♥
.¸.•*(¸.•*´♥`*•.¸)`*•.