.

.

.

.

Sign-up For Blog Updates by Email!

GOOGLE FRIEND CONNECT

+GOOGLE PLUS+

May 15, 2012

Pinterest Craft Challenge ...

Last week I mentioned that I had chosen a craft DIY project from Pinterest to try out. It all started out with an idea for a lovely, handmade Mother's Day gift for my Mom. When I first saw this DIY on Pinterest I knew right away what my Mother's Day gift would be this year ~ Tinted Mason Jars to hold flowers.




Aren't these so pretty? The photo above is the photo from the DIY.  The instructions were super simple, and I couldn't wait to make my own. All you needed to do was mix Modge Podge with food coloring, paint the insides, bake and voila! You'd have beautifully painted jars.  I purchased all the materials and got to work assuming that yes this would be a bit messy, but so worth it.

Well, did mine turn out like the one's shown above???  NO!   It was difficult to paint the insides of the jars and know if you used enough paint, or too little.  In addition it was really messy, and extremely smelly :P

Here are photos of my first attempt at this project. Some of the jars I coated more than others. The first photo is after I finished painting the jars.  The second photo is after I baked the jars.




 Where'd all the color go? I'll never know, but there was a film all on the inside that I proceeded to scrub out so I could start over using another method I found online.

This second method seemed fool-proof.  Use acrylic glossy enamel paint that would dry transparent, bake and voila! Such a better method ~ so I thought! But the paint wouldn't spread smoothly.  I figured after I baked them it would even out, but sadly it didn't.

     Here are photos from attempt #2.  The first is right after painting, and the last two are the finished project.





I do think they turned out pretty, but not at all what either DIY showed for their results.  At this point I'm not sure if it was me or the DIY, but I will not be attempting this ever again. 

Has anyone ever attempted this DIY resulting in jars which look like the one at the beginning of the post?
If so how did you achieve those results?

Be sure to stop back either later this afternoon or tomorrow for my Wordless Wednesday Link Party!! 
I have a bunch of photos I took this past week to choose from.  
Not sure yet which one will be "the one".  
Can't wait to see what you have!!     


   xo,
Photobucket


Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it so frustrating when you spend a lot of money on something that seems fool proof, only it doesn't turn out right? I'm sorry this didn't work out for you. That was one craft I wanted to try some time down the road, so I'm glad to know not to do it now.

    However, they do look pretty with the flowers in them, so I guess it wasn't a total bust!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these turned out lovely... even if not the way you thought they would. i've been seeing this trend a lot on decorating shows lately... painting the inside of jars to make them colorful. i like it!

    i've never tried it myself. hoping to start getting more crafty after i get organized... which i a currently working on.

    ReplyDelete

💕 Thank you for your comment! 💕

´*•.¸(*•.¸♥¸.•*´)¸.•*´
♥«´¨`•°..PAULA..°•´¨`»♥
.¸.•*(¸.•*´♥`*•.¸)`*•.