My Photo

Hi I'm Paula, a quirky, crafty Mom from New Hampshire. I have a little shop on Etsy where I sell papercrafts, softies and other random goodies :) I'm crazy about Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, blogging, handmade, vintage, networking, making new bloggy friends, and I'm PR friendly too :)

GOOGLE FRIEND CONNECT

+GOOGLE PLUS+

♥ Blog Lovin'! ♥

Follow Sincerely, Paula

Linky Followers

I N S T A G R A M ~ O' Snap!

NETWORKED BLOGS

August 27, 2012

duct tape flip flop diy


I know it's a bit late in the season for a summery craft, but it's something I've been meaning to do with Autumn all season long. What prompted me to finally start this project was my awesome Target find 
~ the prettiest duct tape ~ 
on CLEARANCE!

Another reason why I put this project off was the fact that I thought it would be difficult. Once Autumn becomes frustrated with a project, that's the end of it. 

When I came home with the duct tape she was super excited, and I reluctantly gathered the other materials we needed, and set out not sure what to expect. I was hoping there wouldn't be tears, and that I'd have to finish the flip flops for her.

Surprisingly it really wasn't difficult at all for her.  
The harder parts of the project were the ones where my 
assistance was needed anyways. And the best part 
of all was that they turned out really cute!!


What you need:
1 roll decorative duct tape
Corrugated cardboard (we used a pizza box)
Pencil
Good scissors
About 1hr of time


Step 1} 
Grab a pair of flip flops or shoes 
and trace onto corrugated cardboard


STEP 2}
Have an adult cut out the tracings



Step 3}
Cover the tops of the cutouts with your duct tape 
folding edges under, But not fully covering the 
backside as this will be done later



Step 4}
Place your foot on the cutouts and mark where the straps should go between your toes. Have an adult poke a smallish hole in this spot making sure it goes completely through the cardboard


Step 5}
Cut four 8-10” pieces of duct tape for the straps.  
Fold each strip into thirds












Step 6}
Push two of the strips into the hole you made from
the top out through the bottom. duct tape the bottom 
ends flat against the cardboard


Step 7}
Flip over to the top again and place foot on the cutout 
to figure out where you want the straps to go over your foot.  Duct tape them in place just underneath the cardboard . 
Trim off excess duct tape

Step 8}
Take a small piece of duct tape and wrap it around 
the straps right where they come out of the hole on top. 
This is the part that will go between your toes

Step 9}
Cover any remaining spaces with duct tape 



Step 10}
Show all your friends your awesome creation,
they will be impressed ;)

Looking ahead to this week:

♥ join me for a wordless wednesday blog
party beginning tuesday at noon! 

♥ stop by on friday to find out this weeks 
fabulous friday finds theme!

♥ and beginning friday at noon come link up to my 
no rules weekend blog party! this is a great way to 
discover new blogs and make new friends!

in between all the awesome stuff listed above, 
i usually come up with a few other bits of random fun!

hope you all have a l♥vely week :)   
Photobucket
Today I'm linking up with these fun ladies!!

♥ Creative Everyday check in August 27-Sept 2
♥ Serenity Saturday


I'm a Fan of My 1929 Charmer Blog!

14 comments:

ArtMuseDog and Carol said...

What a fun creation and such a good tutorial ~ jazzy! ~ Carol (A Creative Harbor)

Paula Miller said...

Thanks Carol!!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Those are just tooooooooooooo awesome!!!! Good job Autumn!!! You rocked those!!!!

Ravenous Rae said...

Hi! Stopping by from CED... cute project!!

Beth said...

A very cute idea!!

Theresa said...

Aren't those just the cutest flip flops! That duct tape is so cute. I can't believe they were clearancing it out! What a fun project for the kids :)

So glad you got the GFC figured out. It's so frustrating when stuff just disappears! I will be so sad when it goes away for good though!

Lea Hunt said...

Look how creative you are ... wow! Those flip flops looks great!

The Girls from Whimsically Homemade said...

Wow! You can do sooo much with duct tape now it's just unbelievable. Thanks sharing. Love from your newest Facebook follower, Whimsically Homemade!

Karen Smithey said...

What a fun project! Thanks so much for sharing!

Paula Miller said...

Thank you all so much for the lovely comments!! When the duct tape craze began I thought it was silly, but now I'm lovin' it :)

Durante said...

This is so creative!!! I think they'd also feel way light on your feet. I'm impressed; do you have some for you too?

Paula Miller said...

No I don't have any for myself. Maybe when the kids start school next week I'll make myself a pair :)

cathy@my1929charmer said...

Seriously too cool and cute. So very creative, and now I know how to make new straps for my flip flops. My grand-kids would love this. Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

mail4rosey said...

I put Hello Kitty duct tape in my daughter's Christmas stocking (every time she saw it in a store she made happy noises, lol), so I'm totally going to have to show her these!