.

.

.

.

Sign-up For Blog Updates by Email!

GOOGLE FRIEND CONNECT

+GOOGLE PLUS+

October 9, 2012

Fun and Yum :)





Many years ago I began a tradition of decorating Halloween cookies.  The first time I did this project with the kids I hadn't planned on this becoming a tradition.  But they enjoyed it so much that each year they would ask me when we were decorating cookies again.  They looked forward to this activity to the point where there was no way I could get away without doing it!  


So today I thought I would share our recipe, and how we create these little confectionary wonders.

First off I make homemade sugar cookies. Depending on how much time you want to spend on this activity, the kids could help with this part, or you could make them yourself ahead of time.

This is the recipe I use.  It is easy to roll out and work with, and it tastes fabulous :)

Rolled Sugar Cookies

1 cup sugar
1 cup butter, softened
3 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
3 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

1}  In a large bowl combine sugar, butter, vanilla and egg.  Blend well.

2}  In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder and salt.  Stir this in with the sugar, butter, vanilla and egg mixture and blend well.

3}  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate about 1 hour for easier handling.

4}  Preheat oven to 375 degrees

5}  On a lightly floured surface roll out 1/3 of the dough at a time to preferred thickness. 
Keep remaining dough refrigerated.

6}  Cut out shapes with floured cookie cutters.  Place one inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.

7}  Bake 5-9 minutes, or til edges are slightly brown.

8}  Remove from oven and place on baking rack to cool.

Orange-Colored Buttercream Frosting

1 stick of butter softened
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar
Red food coloring
Yellow food coloring

Personally I don't exactly measure the ingredients.  I just place everything in a bowl and mix, mix, mix!  You can add as much or as little food coloring as you like.

Now the fun part ~ decorating!

Most times I just buy pre-made tubes of frosting in black and green for drawing faces and making the stems.  If you prefer there's all kinds of sprinkles and other fun goodies you could add to the cookies.

This part can get really messy, so be prepared!  I lay out utensils, cookies, orange frosting and whatever else we like to decorate our cookies with, and say "GO"!  The kids have a blast making funny pumpkin faces, and I always decorate a few cookies myself with each child's name on it.

Just be aware that if you choose to do this activity one year, your child(ren) will most likely make turn this into a tradition for your family too ;)

Do you have any fun Halloween traditions you do with your kids each year? Or maybe your grandchildren?  Traditions are such great bonding moments :)

If you participate in Wordless Wednesday, be sure to stop back after 12PM US EST today for my Wordless Wednesday Blog Party!!  I always return the !




Sincerely,

Paula




  




Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

4 comments:

  1. YUM!! I am going to have to try these!! Off to pin this!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This brought back happy memories Paula. I was room mother at school for both of my kids during their grade school years. I always made decorated Halloween cookies. The kids loved them so I did this every year. Thank you for the memory!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I love sugar cookies. We will be doing ours next week in preparation of our Halloween party. Yours turned out really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids are ready to bake! Yum yum!!

    ReplyDelete

๐Ÿ’• Thank you for your comment! ๐Ÿ’•

´*•.¸(*•.¸♥¸.•*´)¸.•*´
♥«´¨`•°..PAULA..°•´¨`»♥
.¸.•*(¸.•*´♥`*•.¸)`*•.