Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis

My Photo

Hi I'm Paula, a quirky, crafty Mom from New Hampshire. I have a little shop on Etsy where I sell papercrafts, softies and other random goodies :) I'm crazy about Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, blogging, handmade, vintage, networking, making new bloggy friends, and I'm PR friendly too :)

GOOGLE FRIEND CONNECT

+GOOGLE PLUS+

♥ Blog Lovin'! ♥

Follow Sincerely, Paula

Linky Followers

I N S T A G R A M ~ O' Snap!

NETWORKED BLOGS

October 23, 2012

Grown up version of a classic meal ...

Grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup were made for each other ~ all warm, gooey, and satisfying.  This delicious combo makes the perfect quick dinner for a chilly evening.  

Last night I decided that this was what I was going to cook for dinner, but I wanted something a bit different than just your average tomato soup and grilled cheese.  I was looking for something a bit fancier and grown up, and I found the perfect recipes to complete this mission.  

I can't promise your kids will eat this, but it's definitely worth making for the adults in the family :)  And now I share with you the recipes~



Tomato Soup

Ingredients

1} 28 oz can petite diced tomatoes
1} 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
1} 32 oz container chicken broth
2} tbsp diced onion
1} tsp baking soda
3} tbsp granulated (white) sugar
4} tbsp butter
1} tsp dried basil
1/8} tsp black pepper

Directions

1}  Melt butter in large pot, add onions and cook til tender
2}  Add all remaining ingredients and bring to a boil
3}  Reduce heat and simmer about an hour


Grilled Cheese Panini with Caramelized Onions

Ingredients

2} tbsp olive oil
2} sweet onions, thinly sliced
1/2} tsp Salt 
1/4} tsp Pepper
0.5} tsp thyme
8} slices of french bread
4} oz goat cheese (I used cheddar)

Directions

1} In a non-stick 12" skillet heat oil on medium for one minute;  Stir in onions, salt and pepper; Cover and cook 15 minutes or until very soft, stirring occasionally; Uncover and cook 15-25 minutes longer or until onions are golden brown; Stir frequently; Stir in thyme and remove pan from heat

2}  While onion cook heat panini press

3}  Assemble panini; place 4 slices of bread on work surface; butter bottoms on the slices;  place cheese slices on unbuttered side; top with 1/4 of the onions; top with remaining bread slices

4}  Place panini in press; close and cook about 5 minutes or until bread is toasted and cheese is melted.   

~~~
If you participate in Wordless Wednesday be sure to stop back after noontime US EST today for my WW Blog Party!  I love to see what you have to share each week, and I always return the Linky L♥ve :)




Sincerely,

Paula



19 comments:

michelle @ this little light said...

You had me at caramelized onions ... yum!

mary_smith said...

YUM! This will definitely be on our table this week.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

This sounds DELISH!!!!!!

New End Studio said...

Sounds easy to make and looks very good ♥

Beth said...

I love tomato soup and grilled cheese. Thank you for the recipe!

Theresa said...

I have never thought to make homemade tomato soup. This looks yummy! I'll have to give it a try once the temps drop and I start craving soup :)

Joanna P-G said...

We love tomato soup. We try this inredients.

April said...

I've been so into soup. I've been making homemade chicken broth and loving it for the cold days. This looks DELICIOUS! And I love tomato soup with grilled cheese. It just needs to cool down a little bit here in sunny Cal, and this will be my recipe.

I hope you can join me over at: Veggie to Table

Ashley said...

haha i love this... the grown up version:)may have to try it out!

xoxo
ash

Barb said...

Yumminess!

Crystelle said...

What a wonderful meal for a blustery fall day....

hugs, Crystelle

Bree @ Twinkle in the Eye said...

Yum, yum, yum! So going to do this!

Natalie B. said...

What a perfect combo!
Thanks for sharing over on Tutorial Thursdays.
x
Natalie
www.marigoldsloft.blogspot.com

Nicole@ Show off Friday said...

Delicious! It looks like very sophisticated tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.

Bianca said...

Thank you very much for sharing. I'm trying this tonight! wish me luck
-Bianca

http://biancasfamily.blogspot.co.uk/

Sheryl "Wilderness Wife" Thompson said...

Tomato soup and grilled cheese....the perfect combo and yours has such a nice touch! Thanks for sharing this at the Wicked Good Wednesday Blog Party at http://www.wildernesswife.com

Evelyn said...

What a step up from the canned Tomato Soup and plain grilled cheese of my childhood. Oh yes, I am pinning this!

Alicia said...

Mmmm! That looks delicious, my pop used to put cheese cubes in the soup when I was little. A perfect combination, delicious.

Kaz @ Melting Moments said...

I am putting this into our Sunday night meal plan :) Yum. Thanks for sharing at www.meltingmoments.info :)