Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis

My Photo

Hi I'm Paula, a quirky, crafty Mom from New Hampshire. I have a little shop on Etsy where I sell papercrafts, softies and other random goodies :) I'm crazy about Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, blogging, handmade, vintage, networking, making new bloggy friends, and I'm PR friendly too :)

GOOGLE FRIEND CONNECT

+GOOGLE PLUS+

♥ Blog Lovin'! ♥

Follow Sincerely, Paula

Linky Followers

I N S T A G R A M ~ O' Snap!

NETWORKED BLOGS

November 15, 2012

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

This week was difficult for me to decide what to make for dinner.  There was nothing I felt like cooking and/or eating.  If it were just me I'd just have cereal or ice cream, and call it a night.

But since I have a small group of people depending on little 'ole me for dinner, I just planned on making a few things I know everyone likes (aka the same boring meals). It was then that I stumbled upon a recipe for something that sounded sooooooo yummy, I knew I just had to make it.  Right away.  

This will be the second recipe I've shared this week which is rare for me, but I couldn't wait til next week.  Just be warned that this is NOT healthy, it is very filling, and the recipe seemed to make more than six servings as it specified.  





1 pound bacon, roughly chopped
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 large carrot, peeled and diced
3/4 cut diced celery
4 large Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
4 medium red potatoes, diced
1/4 cup flour
2 cups chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
4 cups heavy cream

Optional garnishes:  chopped chives, bacon bits, sour cream, shredded cheddar and/or Monterey Jack cheese.

1}  Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  On a rack in a large broiler pan, bake bacon approx. 30 minutes, or till crisp.

2}  While bacon is cooking prepare all vegetables.

3}  Once bacon is cooked, drain on paper towels

4}  Pour bacon fat into a large cooking pot.  Cook onions, carrots and celery in the fat until onions are translucent.  Add the potatoes and cook about 4 minutes stirring occasionally.

5}  While potatoes are cooking chop the bacon and divide in half. One half will be for the soup and one half for the garnish.

6}  Whisk flour in a small bowl with about 1/2 cup of the chicken broth, til smooth.  Add this to remaining chicken broth, stir, and pour all at once into the pot along with half of the chopped bacon.  Season with salt and pepper.

7}   Over medium heat bring the soup to a simmer and cook for 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft.  Stir often as you don't want the potatoes to stick to the bottom of the pot.

8}  Add heavy cream and simmer 5 more minutes.  Adjust the soups thickness by either mashing a few of the potatoes to make creamier, or adding more stock or water to thin.
Consistency should be creamy.

9}  Season to taste, and garnish with remaining bacon and any other optional garnishes you desire.

10}  Enjoy :)


L o o k i n g   A h e a d:

Tomorrow is Fridayand that means the latest 
edition of Fabulous Friday Finds will be out. 

And beginning at 12PM US EST tomorrow my NO RULES Weekend Blog Party 
opens for the entire weekend!  You can stop by anytime and link up anything! 
How fabulous is that?!



Sincerely,

Paula

18 comments:

Masshole Mommy said...

That sounds really good. I just recently had a potato soup for the first time and I was surprised at how much I liked it. For whatever reason, I had always avoided potato soup, but now I feel like I've been missing out my whole life.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

YUM!!!!!

Paula Miller said...

I guess growing older does change your taste buds because in the past I would never have thought to make a potato soup. Never ever..

Beth said...

That sounds scrumptious!!

Nicole said...

Hello YUM! Now you're going to my house to make this and have it waiting for me right ;)

Helene said...

one of my favorite soups of all time. this recipe is worth pinning!

Helene in Between

Joanna P-G said...

yummy, yummy, becon and... I must do.
Look great!

Sarah @ Family. Food. Fiesta. said...

Winter/Fall soups are so fabulous and it's all about comfort! You add bacon to anything and it's delicious! I love potato soups (even if some of them aren't as healthy as others....everything in moderation, right?)

Azara said...

I'm not usually a soup person, but this looks SO good!

Meg {henninglove} said...

ooh i made potato cheese soup earlier this week and it didn't turn out as good as i thought so maybe i will have to try your recipe

Katherines Corner said...

I love this recipe . I am such a carb lover and potato soup is one of my favorites. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things hop xo

Theresa said...

Yum Yum! It's a great time for soup recipe sharing. I am always on the lookout for new soups this time of year. This one looks like it hits the spot just right!

mail4rosey said...

Potato soup is one of my all-time faves and this recipe looks good!

Grey said...

Oh I do love a good potato soup--this sounds so good. I found this on Marigold's Loft.

Nicole said...

Oh Yum!!

Natalie B. said...

Ooh yummy, I adore a good soup, and something that has cream in it oooooohhh goody ;) Sounds wonderful will be trying it out.
Thanks for sharing on Tutorial Thursday, much appreciated.
x
Natalie
www.marigoldsloft.blogspot.com

Accidentally Wonderful said...

This is great! Now I'm hungry =) Thanks for linking up to Inspiration Spotlight! Check in on Friday to see our featured posts!

Theresa said...

Oh, love soups. Sounds yummy! I might have to try your recipe. Drop by & link up again soon. Visiting from dearcreatives.com