Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis

My Photo

Hi I'm Paula, a quirky, crafty Mom from New Hampshire. I have a little shop on Etsy where I sell papercrafts, softies and other random goodies :) I'm crazy about Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, blogging, handmade, vintage, networking, making new bloggy friends, and I'm PR friendly too :)

GOOGLE FRIEND CONNECT

+GOOGLE PLUS+

♥ Blog Lovin'! ♥

Follow Sincerely, Paula

Linky Followers

I N S T A G R A M ~ O' Snap!

NETWORKED BLOGS

January 31, 2013

Taco Night!


I don't recall my family ever eating Mexican food while I was growing up.   But what I do know now, is that when I finally got a taste of it, I was in L♥VE!  These days I may go overboard with the Mexican theme, but it's so delicious I can't help myself!

The Mexican dish that I make most often is tacos.  Mainly because it's easy, fast, and semi-healthy.  Sometimes I substitute turkey for the ground beef, and I've also tried (unsuccessfully I might add) making my own homemade taco seasoning rather than using the packet from the store.  I cringe every time I look at those packets, and my homemade versions were just not up to everyone's standards.

Then one day while browsing on Pinterest, I came across a recipe for Beef Tacos that was a bit different than the others I tried in the past, and decided to give the homemade stuff another whirl.  One of my kids (who will remain nameless) rolled her eyes when I said I was attempting another taco recipe.  "I just like the stuff in the packet" she said.  My reply was to remind her that if we find a good homemade recipe it would be so much healthier.

And guess what? 
This recipe turned out really good and the kids liked it! 
Two points for me (no actually 100 points for me)!

Ingredients:

1 tbsp vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
1 onion, minced (I just chopped mine like I always do)
3 garlic cloves, minced (I used the pre-minced stuff in a jar)
2 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp cayenne peppper
1 tsp salt
1 lb. lean ground beef (you could substitute ground turkey for a healthier version)
1/2 cup canned tomato sauce (I used 1/2 c jar pasta sauce)
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth (I used low sodium beef broth)
2 tsp cider vinegar
1 tsp light brown sugar
8-10 taco shells

Directions:

1}  Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat until simmering

2}  Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes

3}  Stir in the garlic, spices, and salt

4}  Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds

5}  Stir in the ground beef (adjust spices to your preference)

6}  Cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes
      (the recipe doesn't say to, but at this point I drained the meat and returned to the skillet)

7}  Stir in the tomato sauce, broth, vinegar, and sugar

8}  Simmer until thickened, about 10 minutes

Fill taco shells with meat mixture and add whatever toppings you like for your tacos.
I usually do shredded cheese, sour cream, lettuce, and tomatoes.

* This recipe was originally published in the "America's Test Kitchen Cookbook"



Looking Ahead:


Today is Thursday which means this afternoon my NO RULES Weekend Blog Party will be open!  If you haven't linked up before, this party is perfect for promoting anything you like such as FB pages, Twitter, Pinterest, G+, Instagram, your blog, or Etsy shop!

The party will remain open all weekend long, and I will also be linking up with some fab parties myself :)  If you'd like to see where I party just click here --> Link Parties.  This will bring you right to my Link Party page :)


Sincerely,


Paula

11 comments:

Masshole Mommy said...

I love tacos. I mean LOVE, but none of the kids will eat them. And since I refuse to cook separate meals, I just don't make them. Sigh.

stevebethere said...

They look delicious i can almost smell them ;-)

I quite like Tacos but I seriously hate cooking LOL I just wished I had your enthusiasm heheh!

Have a Tacolicious wekend ;-)

Judy Haughton-James said...

Wow! Looks so delicious Paula! Have a good Thursday.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Yummmmm!!! I am gonna have to try this!!!

Lizbeth McGow said...

Dear Paula, this recipe went right back to Pinterst! I pinned it! My teenage son hates it everytime I try my own version of taco season, he as your daughter says it's not the same and to stick with the usual...well I'll make this one and see what he think...ps I will keep an empty envelope of seasoning handy..just in case he likes it to fool him...LOL See you tonight girl!

Amanda said...

I am ALWAAAAYS looking for a good taco recipe! I will have to try this one out!
Stopping by(and now following)from the GYB Link Party!

Http://www.mandiestwocents.blogspot.com

Theresa said...

Going to have to pin this one too. I have never tried my own homemade seasoning. The packets have always just been too easy to just dump on top lol.

Thanks for sharing!

Danica Bridges-Martin said...

Love Mexican food, we eat it often, my toddler even enjoys it! :) Danica

Gwen said...

New follower here from That Friday Blog Hop. This recipe looks yummy, and I think I have all the ingredients already. Hello, dinner!

Gwen at Confessions of a Gila Monster

Camille said...

Yummy! I hate buying those packets too. I usually just eat mine plain. Will have to try this!

mail4rosey said...

Kudos for finding a recipe everyone liked, and I bet it's easily a bazillion times healthier than the store packet version. :)