Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

ShareThis

My Photo

Hi I'm Paula, a quirky, crafty Mom from New Hampshire. I have a little shop on Etsy where I sell papercrafts, softies and other random goodies :) I'm crazy about Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, blogging, handmade, vintage, networking, making new bloggy friends, and I'm PR friendly too :)

GOOGLE FRIEND CONNECT

+GOOGLE PLUS+

♥ Blog Lovin'! ♥

Follow Sincerely, Paula

Linky Followers

I N S T A G R A M ~ O' Snap!

NETWORKED BLOGS

January 24, 2013

What's for dinner?


When I was little I don't think my Mom ever made Hamburger Helper for dinner. I always remember seeing the commercials on TV with the silly-looking hand and wished we could try it, but we never did.

When I finally moved out on my own, Hamburger Helper was on my list of foods to make. I made it a handful of times, only then realizing why my Mom wouldn't make it herself ~ it was an unhealthy convenience meal. After this I stopped making it myself, and kind of forgot all about it. This was until I came across a few recipes for making copycat Hamburger Helper in a variety of flavors.

Last night was my first experiment. I chose to make copycat Beef Stroganoff Hamburger Helper. It was quick and easy, and made more than one box of real Hamburger Helper would make. The only change I would make with this recipe is to add more seasonings to it. But the fact that I used just salt and pepper in mine got my little picky eater to eat all of hers up. (And if you knew this girl you'd know that NOTHING is good enough when it comes to dinner foods.)

This is the recipe I used. If you decide to make this yourself, feel free to add whatever spices you like to jazz it up a bit. If you prefer it more plain, stick with just salt and pepper like I did.

Enjoy :)




Ingredients: 


1.25 lbs of extra lean ground beef salt+pepper to taste (add other spices per your personal preference)
1 medium onion, chopped
2-3 cups freshly sliced mushrooms
3 cups water
2 beef bouillon cubes
1 lb elbow macaroni
1-2 tbsp worcestershire sauce
1-1/2 cups sour cream

Directions:

Heat large non-stick skillte over medium-high heat. Add a bit of oil, onions, mushrooms and ground beef. Cook until beef is no longer pink, then drain.

Return mixture to skillet and add salt, pepper, and any other chosen spices. To this add the water, bouillon cubes, macaroni and worcestershire sauce. Mix well and bring to a boil. Lower heat and cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 12 minutes or til macaroni is soft and all water is absorbed. (If needed add a bit more water and cook a few more minutes.)

Stir in sour cream, and heat thoroughly.

Recipe adapted from kitchensimplicity.com

15 comments:

marty said...

That little hand always intrigued me too! We did eat HH upon occasion but my husband would keel over if I made it now...apparently it was a staple in his house growing up and now he hates it :-) Of course, this might change his mind and I am pretty sure my kids would love it since they have fallen under the spell of that white glove.

Masshole Mommy said...

My mom DID make hamburger helper, but I think the options were much more limited than they are today. I have made it for my boys in a pinch, because it's great to have on hand when I don't have time to really cook.

Your recipe sounds fab, though! I'll have to try it one of these days!

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Yummmmmmmmmm!! I will have to try your version!!!

Irfan Butt said...

yummy! lovely post!
http://fashionwithfitness.blogspot.com/

mary_smith said...

My mom never made HH because of the chemicals. I did the same thing when I moved out on my own. I had to try everything.
This is a great recipe! Definitely gonna try this. Thanks Paula!

Beth said...

This sounds good without the additives you find in the boxed version. Thank you for the recipe!

Theresa said...

My mom always made it for us when we were little. When Jason and I first moved in together we would eat it occasionally, but got to the point where we were like "this stuff is NASTY!" I don't think we've eaten it in like 10 years. I still threaten him all the time that we are going to have it when we go grocery shopping lol.

Your recipe does look good. I'm going to pin it and give it a whirl sometime.

Judy SheldonWalker said...

HH is much too salty and as you mentioned so unhealthy. I like your version better. Thanks!

RACHEL TaoOfPoop said...

Hamburger Helper definitely takes me back! Do they still make it. So does Beef Stroganoff. Looks good!

mod mom beyond indiedom said...

Hi! I'm this week's Mixologist at #MTMMIxer! Hope you'll stop by and follow me!

Tamara Woods said...

My Mom didn't make Hamburger Helper either. I bought it when I went to college, and it was so salty to me. I've made a variation of the recipe you made, but it was just my own thing where ingredients were "a little bit of this" and a "little bit of that." I'm going to add Worcestershire to it. That sounds like a tasty addition.

Meredith said...

This looks really good--and easy, so a major score in my book! Thanks for sharing and for linking up with the #MTMmixer this week :)
Meredith
www.themomoftheyear.net

Jenn said...

This sounds so easy & delicious! I love recipes like this.

Theresa said...

I made this last night and kept thinking "This recipe sounds familiar". Then I realized it's almost like the hamburger stroganoff I make from time to time! If you are looking to make the sauce a bit creamier, add in 1 can cream of mushroom soup and 1/4 cup mayo. (My girls don't like a creamy sauce, so I left the recipe as is for them.)

My husband really liked your version. He thought using elbow mac was much better than the egg noodles I normally use because he can scoop it in his mouth faster with a spoon lol. Men!

Oli Ma said...

This is just a classic dish that I will never get tired of! But, I have upgraded to a more adult version by using really nice cuts of meat and cheese. When I buy my gourmet foods online, the first thing I do when I get the order is to ground up some angus beef to make this dish. So good!